Lentil Salad with Roasted Beets and Pickled Red OnionsPRINT SHARE
The beauty of this recipe lies in its versatility. If you keep the basic formula and the dressing the same, you can interchange the legume, vegetable and cheese with whatever you have on hand, and make this salad your own. The key to its success is in the seasoning, the lentils absorb a lot more than you think so make sure you keep tasting and adding little by little till you get it right.
Pickled Red Onions
- 1/2 cup EMMA Red Wine Vinegar, Diluted with 4 tbsp of Water
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Red Onion, Thinly Sliced on a Mandoline
- 1 can EMMA Lentils
- 1 Large Red Beet, Roasted and Chopped
- Finely Chopped Parsley
- In a small bowl, or mason jar, dissolve the sugar and salt into the red wine vinegar, then add the thinly sliced onions. Make sure they’re fully submerged under the liquid. Set aside for about 20 minutes, or until the onions turn a shocking shade of pink.
- In another bowl, add the lentils, and the chopped beet. Dress with olive oil, white wine vinegar and salt & pepper. Gently mix, taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Scoop the lentils and beets into your serving dish, and garnish with a few slices of the pickled red onions, some chopped parsley and a final sprinkling of salt and pepper.